Wednesday 15 May 2013

CHILDHOOD



I hurriedly left your threshold,
To embrace the adulthood mould,
Dolls and pristine innocence left behind a mile,
Did not glance back for a while.

Sleeping to the lullaby tune
Sailing paper boats in rainy June
Of sleep-overs  and pillow-fights
The chocolates cakes and glittering lights
Imprisoned  in frozen moments.
Can anyone bring back even for a moment?

In awe of the grass greener
Remained an eternal dreamer.
When the glass of fantasy shattered,
Awoke, I battered.

Filled with mirth to say a final good-bye.
Now repent with a deep sigh.
The grains of sand slid away
Leaving only memories my way.

Wish I had not hurried
But relished the golden era and tarried.
R.I.P. (Rest in peace) my childhood.
R.I.P (Return if possible) my childhood.



Note :  The weight of the school books keeps the back hunched. The do’s and do not’s by the parents irritate the children. They are in a hurry to leave behind the childhood to chase the mirage of adulthood. Taking one’s own decision of life fascinates them only to realize late that the golden days were those of childhood. Every generation repeats this mistake and I implore my child not to commit this mistake. 

4 comments:

  1. Your poems are so amazing Kalpana! What you said in these lines is so true, when we are chidren we want to be adults and once we are adults, we miss our childhood, we revist every possible memory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Gayatri, re-visiting our lost childhood is the only way to keep in touch with the golden era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is soooo touching Kalpana... and I can relate to this one the most.

    I also wasted my childhood trying to be something what others wanted me to be :(

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......