Saturday 13 April 2019

Mouth : Parts of the body

                                             A to Z 2019

In human anatomy, the mouth is the first portion of  the alimentary canal that receives 

food and produces saliva. 
In addition to its primary role as the beginning of the digestive system, in humans the 

mouth also plays a significant role in communication. While primary aspects of the  voice 

are produced in the throat, the tongue, lips and jaw are also needed to produce the 

range of sounds included in human language.
The mouth consists of two regions, the vestibule and the oral cavity proper. The mouth, 

normally moist, is lined with a mucous membrane , and contains the teeth. The lips mark 

the transition from mucous membrane to skin, which covers most of the body.
The mouth plays an important role in eating, drinking, breathing and speaking. 

Infants are born with a sucking reflex, by which they   instinctively  know to suck for 

nourishment using their lips and jaw. The mouth also helps in chewing and biting food.

                                                     Anatomy of the mouth

Lips : – two mobile and muscular structures that form the entrance to the mouth. The 

lips mark the transition from skin to moist mucous membrane.

The Vestibule : the space between the soft tissue (lips and cheeks), and the teeth and 

gums. The vestibule is kept moist by secretions from the parotid salivary glands, which 

are located in front of the ears and behind the angle of the jaw.

Mouth Cavity – the mouth cavity is bounded by several structures. The alveolar arches 

(bony structures that contain the teeth) surround the mouth cavity at the front and on 

the sides – overhead are the hard and soft palates and below is the tongue. The mouth 

cavity is kept moist by secretions from the submaxillary and sublingual salivary glands 

located in the floor of the mouth beneath the tongue.

Gums/Gingiva – are made up of the fibrous and dense tissue that lines the alveolar 

arches and hugs the teeth.

Teeth – a person has two sets of teeth over the course of a lifetime. The average child 

has their full set of 20 primary (or milk or baby) teeth by the age of three years. The 

primary teeth start to fall out between the ages of about six and seven years, and are 

gradually replaced by permanent (or secondary or adult) teeth. By about 21 years, the 

average person has 32 permanent teeth – 16 in the upper jaw and 16 in the bottom jaw.

Palate– consists of the hard and soft palates. The hard palate is the bony roof of the 

mouth. The soft palate is a fold of membrane that hangs between the mouth cavity and 

the back of the throat. The little dangling bit you can see when you stick out your tongue 

and say ‘ah’ is called the uvula.

Tongue– the tongue is made up almost entirely of muscle fibres. It is divided into an 

oral portion (tip, blade, front, centre and back) and a pharyngeal (throat) section. The 

tongue helps us to taste, speak and swallow. 

Minor salivary glands – make the clear fluid (saliva) that keeps the mouth moist and 

contains enzymes to break down food. These glands are found in various locations around 

the mouth, including the inner cheeks.


                                        Problems of the mouth 

Cold sores

Canker sores - painful sores in the mouth, caused by bacteria or viruses

Thrush - a yeast infection that causes white patches in your mouth

Dry mouth - lack of enough saliva, caused by some medicine.


Tooth problems.

Halitosis (bad breath)

                                                Care of the mouth

The mouth may become dry due to high fever, vomiting or lack of fluid intake.  Mouth 

care helps to stimulate the flow of saliva which prevents it from becoming sore. Keeping 

the person mouth clean, moist and free from infection is important in the prevention of 

dental problems.  Cleaning the teeth regularly helps to remove plaque and debris which 

cause tooth decay and bad breath.  Good oral hygiene may also help to increase 

appetite. 

Cleaning or rinsing the mouth after meals should be done.

Breathe through the nose. Breathing through the mouth makes the mouth dry.

Brush teeth every morning, after meals and at bedtime. Floss regularly.

If a person wears dentures, he/she should rinse mouth and dentures after every meal.

Eat a well-balanced , low sugar diet. Chew on raw salads. It encourages saliva formation.


                              Indian Mouth freshener 

Mukhwas is a colorful Indian after-meal mouth freshener or digestive aid 
It can be made of various seeds and nuts, but often found with  fennel seeds, anise 
seeds, coconut, and sesame seeds.  They are sweet in flavor and highly aromatic . Plain 
water is drunk after chewing and consuming the fennel seeds.
Dried Amla (Indian goosebery) is also chewed after food as mouth freshener. It is 
available in powdered form too.

                                     Image result for dried Amla
                                             Dried Amla

The word is an amalgamation of mukh meaning mouth and vas meaning smell. My 

grandmother used to have betel-nut leaf and pieces of betelnut after food. I sometimes 

chew on fennel seeds.


Image result for Paan             Image result for Paan

The Indian Paan is had on auspicious occasions like marriage or festivals. It is usually 

eaten after a hearty heavy indian traditional meal.

                                       The dreaded Big C

Cancer of the mouth can grow in any part of the mouth or throat.  A dental checkup is a 

good time for your dentist to look for signs of oral cancer. Treatment works best before 

the disease spreads. 

Even if one have lost all your natural teeth, one should still see the dentist for regular 

oral cancer exams.
Avoid tabacco and its products. Abstain from cigarettes, snuff , pipes or cigars.

Drink alcohol in moderation.

                                                          Trivia

Tom 's family of eight members had a hand-to-mouth existence. Tom toiled and made 

enough money to fund his education. His siblings took to bad ways. They were lazy, 

thieved food and money to keep their body and soul together. This left a bad taste in 

Tom's mouth. Undeterred , he continued with his studies and earned a college degree.


Readers , do you visit your dentist regularly? Do you prefer to have mouth refreshner 

(Mukhvas) after food?


(Information courtesy Google)

(Google pics)



                                 I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. 

A to Z Challenge - Day 1. Arms : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 2. breasts : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 3.Chin & Cheeks : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 4. Dimples : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 5. Eye : Parts of the body.
A to Z Challenge - Day 6. Feet: Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 7 . Gums/Gingiva
A to Z Challenge - Day 8. Hair : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge -Day 9. Intestine : Parts of the body

A to Z Challenge - Day 10. Kidneys - Parts of the body

A to Z Challenge - Day 11. Lungs - Parts of the body

36 comments:

  1. https://ideasolsi65.blogspot.com/2019/04/mouth-parts-of-body.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
      or
      call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










      i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
      or
      call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

      Delete
  2. I was looking at gooseberries for my A to Z theme, but I could not really find any stories... now I wonder what they taste like!

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indian gooseberries are a but sour to taste. We pickle them and store it. they are available in dried form too. Thanks A Tarkabarka H for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. I don't like mukhvas or pan after food. And only after 'adulting' I have realised the importance of visiting a dentist regularly. Now I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am scared of visiting the dental clinic but I know I have to. Thanks Namratha.

      Delete
  4. I am not fond of pan at all, but I like fennel seeds, which I chew to feel fresh in my mouth. I do visit my dentist, almost regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started to like meetha paan. Thanks Shilpa Gupte.

      Delete
  5. Informative post, Kalpana ji.
    Human-being is such a wonderful creation with so many parts in our body!
    I need to visit the dentist soon. Have been putting off my tooth extraction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do visit the dentist soon, Anita. I am petrified sitting on the dentist's chair but never miss an appointment. Thanks Anita for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  6. Once again loads of information here, Kalpana. I love meetha paan and try to have it when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same pinch, Rachna. I too love meetha paan with added gulkand.

      Delete
  7. Lots more facts to chew on! The mouth is certainly a busy place.

    The Queen of all Mermaids


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More facts and mukhvas to chew on and the mouth is always a busy place. Eating and talking are done by the mouth. Thanks Keith and I am enjoying your stories.

      Delete
  8. Oh! I love all kinds of mouth fresheners except the ones with hard betel-nuts. I don't like those. In Kanpur, we used to get sweet paan-masala! That was awesome. And here in Jaipur, a new shop has opened in the market nearby. It sells all kinds of mouth fresheners, pickles, papads etc. And they have mouth fresheners of paan. No kidding! Three different varieties too. They are just amazing!!! :D :D :D

    Find my M post @ Benefits Of Being Mindful | 5 Ways To Boost Happiness With the Practice of Mindfulness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new shop opened in Jaipur must be having lots of patrons. I am a bit choosy where mouth fresheners are considered.Thanks Chicky K for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  9. We take the parts of our body for granted. Your post on mouth made me truly understand the role it plays in our day to day lives. Very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When things are running smoothly we dont realize the importance of our body parts. Thanks Sundari V. for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  10. Interesting post, mouth is such an important element in human body. Teeth too.
    M = Mobilier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mouth is an important organ of the body. Thanks Frederique for visitn gmy blog.

      Delete
  11. I used to get thrushes when there would be a very small circular white patch that would be painful, but these used to disappear by themselves. And of course I have a perpetual mouth dryness problem because of the side effects of other medicines I take. As regards thrushes they have stopped now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The body mechanism runs smoothly and any ailment/prob throws the body out of gear. Thanks Jai for dropping by.

      Delete
  12. I love mukhwas and pan. Unfortunately my visits to dentists have gone on a high for the past couple of years. There have been rct treatments for not taking enough care of my teeth in the mouth. I really enjoy reading your informative and unique posts on the parts of the body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have 2 RC done on my teeth and I have to admit that the visits to my dentists are fraught with tension. Thanks Sonia C.

      Delete
  13. Yup, visit the dentist for 3 cleanings a year; won't talk about root canals and crowns. The problem with my mouth is that it loves chocolate. Thanks for visiting my site for AtoZ so I could add you to my blog roll.

    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
    (AtoZ Theme: very short stories/various genres)
    M is for: Maniwaki Wild Rice Harvest



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GAILM B for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  14. Interesting and informative post. I dont like mouth fresheners much, but a friend has such new and innovative kinds at her place. She shops for them in kilos!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some people make elaborate mukhvas at home before weddings in kilos. Thanks shilpa garg for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Informative write up on mouth! I like mukhwvas and also occasional paan! There is place in CP in Delhi which also offers variety of Paan like chocolate paan etc. Also one of my relatives keep variety of mukhvas at her home.

    DEW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to admire the various textures and colours of the mukhvas kept at the Mukhvas counter at weddings. Thanks Kislaya G for stopping by.

      Delete
  17. I visit my dentist twice a year for a cleaning and checkup. I am fortunate to have healthy teeth and gums. Brushing and flossing are important, and I feel better after having done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have a healthy set of teeth. It take a lot of effort to maintain them. Thanks Alice G for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  18. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346




    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......