Sunday 23 July 2017

Parting at the crossroad

Weekend Writing Prompt #12 – Indecision

A word and photo prompt to get your creativity flowing this weekend.  Use the prompts

separately or together.  It’s up to you.  Write a piece of flash fiction, a poem, a chapter for

your novel…anything you like.  Or take the challenge below – there are no prizes (it’s not a

competition) but rather a fun writing exercise. 
Word Prompt

Indecision

Photo Prompt





Challenge
Prose Challenge – Write a story in no more than 300 words that begins at a crossroads.
Poetry Challenge – Write a poem in no more than 20 lines that contains the following words at least once:
  • indecision
  • sign or signpost
  • choice
  • hesitating or dithering

The lone sign post indicating the place of my onward journey stood rooted to the ground. 

It pointed out to the right direction. What option should I have to choose? And why? I was 

staring at the strange crossroads of my life.

The tranquil countryside could not tame the reverberations nay the hurricane gathering 

in my mind. Uncertainty and indecision were the twin tormentors.

The judge looked solemnly at me. I could feel his piercing glare pitying me.

“Angela, whom do you choose to live with?”

I looked at mom. Her quivering and imploring lips wanted me. Dad’s countenance gave 

me freedom. A part of me wanted to be with both of them, together. I didn’t want to 

split my happiness piecemeal.


Something had gnawed the happy family of three over a decade. The fabric of relationships was 

slowly pulled on either sides. The threads of bonds withstood the tension albeit for a short period of 

time. Slowly the tatter was visible. The two warring parties held on to their pieces of grievances and 

refused to mend the differences.

The acrimonious parting was inevitable.


“Angela, whom do you choose to live with?” pierced my eardrum and shook my senses.

A pair of eyes complete the vision. Could one eye do any justice? How do I choose and 

whom?

I gulped down wetting my parched throat.

“I choose life”, I declared.

My Godmother embraced me.  “Welcome Angela”, she said warmly.

She smiled and wished me, “Happy sixteenth birthday, Angela”.

My parents had forgotten a milestone of my life.



Written for :Weekend Writing Prompt  # 12 - Indecision. Thank you Sammi Cox.




No comments:

Post a Comment

please show some love......