Monday 2 September 2013

7 most loved programmes on T.V.

I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 1st-7th September 2013.








DAY 3

I do not watch the programmes on television anymore as my interest has ceased in Ekta Kapoor's serials or the news channels seems more of war reporting sites.

But in my childhood days when the multi-channel satellites had not yet made in-roads , we were content with black and white Doordarshan. The content on DD was highly censored and their attitude was 'take it or leave it' and we were not spoilt for choice but literally had no choice. But in spite of these shortcomings , there were very good programmes on B/W television.





WHAT'S THE GOOD WORD?

"What's the good word?" with Sabira Merchant was aired at 10.30 in the night and I would make all efforts not to miss this programme. It consisted of two teams of 2 members each. One team had a specific word or a personality in mind and the other team would ask questions in rapid fire round and the 2nd team would answer in yes or no.

Team 1 : male???
Team 2 : yes.

Team 1 : dead???
Team 2 : No

Team 1 : Actor???
Team 2 : No

Team 1 : Singer???
Team 2 : yes

Team 1 : Indian ???
Team 2 : yes

...........and this would go on till the correct personality was guessed. and we viewers would try to guess. Sabira Merchant would be the programme hostess and I loved her charismatic smile.

                                                   -------------------------------





HERE'S LUCY and I LOVE LUCY.

Who could not be enchanted with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. We loved the couple and Lucy's antics.

                                        ----------------------




ARE YOU BEING SERVED?
This programme was about a departmental store and its stupid, entertaining, funny,witty sales-team. 

                              ----------------------------



DIFFERENT STROKES

We as children very much identified with this programme as the protagonists were children. The two black boys are adopted by a white family and the scenes and sequences were hilarious to watch.

                                                    -------------------------




CHARLIE CHAPLIN

'Gold Rush ' and 'The Kid' were my favourites, Does anybody need any introduction to this tramp who loved to flirt with beautiful ladies but was a riot of laughter and fun wherever he went?  But Sir Charles Chaplin's life was a great tragedy, who entertained the world with his comedy with a smile on his lips and a sorrow in his heart. Hats off to this great entertainer.

                                      ----------------------------



LAUREL AND HARDY

The adorable but different as chalk and cheese duo, a thin and a fat one together complimented the number 10. I loved the Laurel and Hardy series which made me laugh.

                                         --------------------------



HUM LOG

Hum Log , the Hindi serial , kick-started the long running marathon serials with lovable and down-to-earth, grey characters. And many girls had fallen head-over-heels in love with  the character 'Nanhe'. This serial appealed to every age and could be watched with the whole family as a unit.


These programmes which were a part of my growing days and helped me evolve as a better person and were instrumental in making television programmes watchable. Readers, do you remember any one of the above programmes that I have mentioned? What are your pet programmes?

Google Images.

10 comments:

  1. It is exactly the same for me. I dont watch any teleserials now. But have watched and loved and enjoyed all the series that you mentioned here except Are you being served!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought back a lot of memories, Kalpana. It seems to be me that they don't make them like that any more. The quick with that Bhaskar guy used to be good too - I can't quite remember his name or the name of the programme - but so looked forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nostalgic post! They no longer make such meaningful and entertaining programmes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nostalgia times again - and all my favorites too

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a child we were exposed to a lot of different forms of activities for us to engage in, but TV has always been a favorite. I still watch a lot of TV, fo course not the EK brand daily soaps but ya, some English sitcoms, some cookery shows and English serials. I remember different strokes,the lucy show, hat's the good word. I also remember others like the Bournvita quiz, Knight Rider. Plus we were lucky enough to watch Pakistan TV as well and they used to air all the American sitcoms, so i got to see the Different Strokes before it was aired in India, plys I saw Full House, The Brady bunch & Street Hawk way before Indian TV caught it. Lucky Me.... :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hum Log ws super awesome. I miss watching Buniyaad, Ek Do Teen, Banegi Apni Baat, Dekh Bhai Dekh, Vikram aur Betal. sad TV shows has sunk into mediocrity everywhere, barring KBC and JDJ. Soap operas are an absolute no-no and Ekta K has killed TV
    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Except for Charlie Chaplin 'm not familiar with any of the above. Guess I was a bit late to born!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice!! You listed all my faves from childhood!! Buniyaad, Chitrahaar, Rajini and lot of others that I have now forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you brought back fond memories - pure nostalgia

    you can check out my post here-
    Karan - Brother

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recognized some of those shows, too as we had some in Canada, too, especially all the American ones. How nostalgic! I would have liked to see that Hindi show Hum Log. Sounded fun.

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......