Wednesday 2 October 2013

International Day for the Elderly



UBC - DAY 3

The International Day of Older Persons is observed on October 1 each year.


Safety & care of the elderly.
While most of us know and believe that our senior citizens are in their golden years, not many of us are able to take up the cause of their safety and care as an important mandate. 

We at SafetyKart are committed to your safety. 

#Elderly #Safety #SeniorCitizens,



Weary and worn out bones
Deep sighs , moans and groans
Toothless  face and silver hair
Rocking the creaking chair.

Alone , as I sit
Youngsters , trim and fit
pass by , me , ignore
come to me , I 'm not a bore.

Chat not but flash a smile
Lift your hand , say a 'HI' from a mile
It will make my day
and my heart younger and gay

Like me , you too will be old
Leisure time , teeth gilded in gold
Will repent and regret
But will be too late to fret.

Let not history repeat itself
learn the lessons for oneself
May you not be in my shoes
Slow down the gallop of your hooves.


As I take my daily walk , I see a group of senior citizens aided by a cane 

stick , sitting on the cement bench and chatting. Their eyes are eager to open 

conversations with young people but the busy world refuses to take notice 

and passes by. The indifference of the youngsters wrinkles their heart and 

crumbles their soul. Stop , smile and  speak to them even if its for a fleeting 

moment and see the difference you have made in the autumn of their lives. 

Their blessings will add more meaning to your lives.

I do stop and say a 'namaste' to the senior citizens of my building. One of 

the aunties blessed my son and my day was made. 


If you haven't visited my previous posts , do hop on now :-


UBC DAY 1 - FRIENDS

UBC DAY 2 - GANDHIJI


ULTIMATE BLOG CHALLENGE - DAY 3






19 comments:

  1. I was thinking something along the same lines the other day. An old gentleman wanted to climb a step and he looked around for a few minutes calling out to a few passers-by. Most of them just ignored and moved on, one of them actually looked at his watch and shook his head at the old uncle and walked away.
    When I offered him my hand and helped him climb up, his eyes were moist. I could tell he was touched. Once he was safely seated in a ric, he blessed me and waved good bye.
    That made my day,

    It is sad that the younger generation has no time for the elderly. At least can't they think that one day, they shall be old too and be in the same hapless situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bhavya , its so thoughtful of you to help the elderly gentleman while the world ignored him. His wave of the hand and his blessings will act as an umbrella in the rainy days to come.

      Delete
  2. Kalpana its only through blogs that I came to know about this day and I have been overwhelmed with the emotions that each post brought me. This poetry too made me feel the pangs of guilt at being young...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richa , I came to know about this day thru the newspapers and as I too am growing older (and perhaps wiser) , I understand their problems.

      Delete
  3. You are a very compassionate woman Kalpana and your children are very lucky to have you as their mother . The poem was very touching and the description that followed even more poignant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sridevi. There is a smile on my face .

      Delete
  4. Often in the hustle and bustle of our busy lives this 'Gold generation' has to suffer by being alone in the dusk of their age...a thought striking post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they have to suffer for no fault of their own.

      Delete
  5. I think it is our generation's responsibility to instill these values in the youngsters. I feel so proud when my 16yr old daughter gives her seat to the elderly in the bus or train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Darshana that we have to instill values in our future generation and its very nice to know about yr daughter's way of helping the elderly people.

      Delete
  6. It's the little things we can do to make their lives easier. I'm always shocked how people can pass-by an elderly person trying to cross the road and not offer help. Lovely post, Kalpana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne , the plight of the elderly is very pitiable. Old-age homes are mushrooming.

      Delete
  7. A very beautiful and thought provoking post! Our simple thoughtful gestures can bring lots of smiles... but sadly in the hustle and bustle of life, we ignore them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hustle and the bustle and the general I-do-not-care attitude is breaking the fabric of the society.

      Delete
  8. Little things we do matter so much. This was a beautiful post with lots of truth to it. It is so sad because someday we will all be in their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elderly people were once young and the young , now will age tomorrow. Oneone can escape this natural cycle.

      Delete
  9. Small things matter especially a helping hand to the elderly.
    beautiful post Kalpana

    ReplyDelete
  10. All it takes is a smile and a few kind words. But the youngsters are so busy meeting deadlines that nobody has the time to even do that. Beautiful poem Kalpana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kalpana this is a very poignant and profound post! The parents can instill qualities of compassion and love in the minds of youngsters.

    ReplyDelete

please show some love......