Monday 15 April 2019

Nails : Parts of the body

                                                A to Z 2019


                                          Image result for Lunula

A nail is a horn-like envelope covering the tips of the fingers and toes. Fingernails and 
toenails are made of a tough protective  protein called  alpha-keratin .
The matrix is the  tissue  which the nail protects. It is the part of the nail bed that is 
beneath the nail and contains,nerves, Lymph and blood vessels. The matrix produces 
cells that become the nail plate. The width and thickness of the nail plate is determined 
by the size, length, and thickness of the matrix, while the shape of the fingertip itself 
shows if the nail plate is flat, arched, or hooked. The matrix will continue to produce 
cells as long as it receives nutrition and remains in a healthy condition. As new nail plate 
cells are made, they push older nail plate cells forward; and in this way older cells 
become compressed, flat, and translucent. This makes the capillaries in the nail bed 
below visible, resulting in a pink color.


                                   Image result for Lunula


The   lunula ("small moon" in Latin) is the visible part of the matrix, the whitish crescent-
shaped base of the visible nail. The lunula can best be seen in the thumb and may not be 
visible in the little finger. Not being able to see  fingernail moons doesn’t always mean that something is wrong with health. Sometimes, one may only be able to see lunula on thumbs, or possibly not on any fingers at all. In these cases, the lunula is most likely hidden under the skin. Though the connection is not completely understood, an absent lunula can indicate anemia, malnutrition and depression.
Make an appointment with doctor if  experiencing any of the following symptoms along with an absence of lunula: dizziness , fatigue , weakness and significant weight loss or gain.
Azure lunula describes the phenomenon where the moons of the fingernails take on a 
blue discoloration. This may indicate Wilson's disease,  also known as hepatolenticular 
degeneration. Wilson’s disease is a rare inherited genetic disorder that causes an excess 
amount of copper to accumulate in the liver, brain, and other vital organs.

Nail pitting is the little depressions in your fingernails or toenails.
It can happen for a number of reasons and is often related to nail psoriasis. One may also 
have discoloration of  nails or abnormal growth with this condition. People with nail 
psoriasis may also experience loose nails that separate from the nail beds ( Onycholysis).
Abnormalities — such as spots, discoloration, and nail separation  - can result from 
injuries to the fingers and hands
Certain medical conditions can also change the appearance of the fingernails. However, these changes can be difficult to interpret.  Fingernails’ appearance alone isn’t enough to diagnose a specific illness. A doctor will use this information, along with other symptoms and a physical exam, to make a diagnosis.

Always consult the doctor if  any questions about changes in your nails arise.
Depressions that run across  fingernail are called Beau’s lines. These can be a sign of 
malnourishment. 
Clubbing is when  nails thicken and curve around your fingertips, a process that generally 
takes years. This can be the result of low oxygen in the blood and is associated with various lung diseases. Nail clubbing is also associated with inflammatory bowel disease, cardiovascular disease, liver disease and AIDS.
Koilonychia  is when  fingernails have raised ridges and scoop outward, like spoons. It’s 
also called “spooning.” Sometimes the nail is curved enough to hold a drop of liquid. 
Nail clubbing occurs when the tips of the fingers enlarge and the nails curve around the fingertips, usually over the course of years.

                                                          Precautions 
Do not bite nails. Use a nail cutter after bath when nails are soft. 
Do not use scissors. Avoid the use of Nail Polish (colours) and nail polish remover (Acetone) over long period of time.
If you have a problem with brittle or weak nails, keep them short to avoid breakage. Use lotion on your nails and cuticles to keep the nail and nail beds moisturized.
Wear rubber gloves whenever you do housework or wash dishes. Most household chores, from gardening to scrubbing the bathrooms to washing dishes, are murderous on the nails. For extra hand softness, apply hand cream before  putting on the rubber gloves. 
Trimtoenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails. This is particularly important if one has diabetes.
Dry hands for at least two minutes after doing the dishes, taking a bath/shower, etc. Also dry  toes thoroughly after swimming or showering. Leaving them damp increases  risk of fungal infection.
Air out work boots and athletic shoes. Better yet, keep two pairs and switch between them so one never has to put  feet into damp, sweaty shoes. This could lead to fungal infections. 
                                                       Diet
 Add a glass of milk and a hard-boiled egg to  daily diet. It’s great for  nails! Rich in zinc, they’ll do wonders for nails, especially if  nails are spotted with white, a sign of low zinc intake.
                                                           Trivia

                                                       Bed of nails.

The Sisters stood like the Rock of Gibraltar behind their colleague/comrade. The abused lady pinpointed the culprit. The eight strong hands nailed the perpetrator of the crime and there was no escape. The Media did what it is supposed to do. The hoi polloi , the Fourth Estate and the entire Sisterhood fought tooth and nail for four months. Justice was delivered.

Readers , tell us something more about your nails? Do you take care of your nails as a part of beauty regime or from medical point of view?

                                 I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. 
A to Z Challenge - Day 1. Arms : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 2. breasts : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 3.Chin & Cheeks : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 4. Dimples : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 5. Eye : Parts of the body.
A to Z Challenge - Day 6. Feet: Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge - Day 7 . Gums/Gingiva
A to Z Challenge - Day 8. Hair : Parts of the body
A to Z Challenge -Day 9. Intestine : Parts of the body

A to Z Challenge - Day 10. Kidneys - Parts of the body

A to Z Challenge - Day 11. Lungs - Parts of the body


A to Z Challenge - Day 12. Mouth - Parts of the body

27 comments:

  1. https://ideasolsi65.blogspot.com/2019/04/nails-parts-of-body_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I had to look at my fingers, now my nails are not strangers anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to know and get acquainted with all parts of our body to keep good health. Thanks Frederique for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I would prefer my nails to be healthy rather than just fashion items. Thanks Keith

      Delete
  4. wow now i know my nails better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Info about lunula is interesting, wasnt aware that its absence means health issues. I have brittle nails and have to take care of them a lot. SIGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had watched al video in detail about lunula and it was very interesting. I keep my nails very short. Thanks shilpa garg for dropping by.

      Delete
  6. Nails are not fun sometimes... especially when they break. I guess that's why mine are all short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When nails break, it is very irritating. I too keep my nails short trimmed and apply no nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liked your story for the day Kalpana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another post replete with information, Kalpana.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a child, I was told that white pigmentation on the nails meant deficiency of calcium. So I had this habit of checking them every few hrs. Eventually I realized that ma used that as an excuse to make me drink milk thar was supposed to help thar white pigmentation disappear Great informative post that brought back this memory to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moms have a way of getting things done. My mom used to coax me to eat bhindi sabzi telling me that bhindi will make me good at numbers. I was petrified of Math subject. Thanks Sonia C for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  11. What an informative post! I love to paint my nails but every few weeks I must give them a break from the paint so that they don’t become too yellow.
    www.nooranandchawla.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chemicals in nail-polish are the culprit. Thanks Noor Anand C fr visiting my blog.

      Delete
  12. I am one who only has visible lunulae on my thumbs.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I am at Transformed Nonconformist. I usually write humor pieces, but I am getting serious this month. I'm writing about people who have deeply impacted my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have visible lunulae on my thumbs, Brett Minor. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  13. Yupp, no lunula, which is understandable as I have iron deficiency anemia.
    I like to keep my nails short. Also, my mom used to say that we shouldn't wear nail polish daily. That nails also need to breathe.
    Find my N post @ 10 Personal Skills Of Narendra Modi That Truly Inspire Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. mos are always right with their vast experiences of life, Chicky K. i too keep my nails short as I hurt them while chopping onions and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to always wear closed shoes and this led to fungal infection in my toes. As a rule I avoid wearing closed shoes most of the time. I also have stopped putting nail polish, only paint them for parties and remove it the next day.
    Never say Never

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nails need aeration and hence nail paint should not be always be put on. Thanks for dropping by , Kislaya G.

      Delete
  16. Great post. I started looking at my nails, before typing this comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to be aware of al our body parts. We take them for granted. Thanks SuhaVijay. i am enjoying your take on mythology.

      Delete

please show some love......